[haiku-development] Re: R1alpha 2 : time to get the ball rolling ?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:17:32 -0800

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Colin Günther <coling@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Encryption requires a lot of work: DraX managed to get WEP working rather
> easy, but someone who doesn't like the Open Wlan idea, doesn't like WEP
> either, I suppose. And even with WEP you would need a proper configuration
> mechanism first, as you don't wanne let the end-user manually select the
> correct WLAN and the preshared key every time Haiku was booted.

I suppose at least WEP support would make the other ipw2100 driver in
the Haiku source repo redundant - allowing it to be removed.

I would switch my home routers to WEP without much fuss (although it's
pointless, security-wise). It would at least serve as a deterrent
against someone inadvertently using my network under the assumption
that it was an open public AP. They'd have to at least knowingly crack
my WEP key first. This is already a significant step above
"unsecured", as most decent people will respect a WEP-protected router
in favor of a non-WEP protected router.

- Urias