[haiku-development] Re: R1 (Final) General Interest poll closed. Results posted. ...

  • From: "Brecht Machiels" <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:53:23 +0100

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 02:25:30 +0100, Christoph Thompson <cjsthompson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here are some random thoughts. Instead of trying to support every piece of
hardware that's commonly available out there, which is a daunting task to
say the least, why not instead just try to focus on supporting fully just
two or three specific machines which are cheap and widely available. Like
for instance one of those Intel Atom-based mini-ITX PCs and a cheap netbook. These would be R1's reference platforms of sorts. And every other piece of hardware that works is then a bonus but not a requirement. Thus people will not expect Haiku to run everywhere and they won't be dissapointed when it doesn't. MacOS X would probably never have made it if Apple hadn't focused on their own specific machines at first instead of having to support every piece of hardware out there.

Haiku is in a completely different situation that Apple. I think for an open-source OS to succeed, it should run on as many systems as possible.

I do agree however, that we should make a list of hardware that is known to work and make sure it works well on that hardware.

--
Brecht