[haiku-development] Re: R1 (Final) General Interest poll closed. Results posted. ...

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:13:57 +0100

Am 12.12.2010 22:27, schrieb Matt Madia:
There were over 1600 results on http://www.haiku-os.org/r1-final-features-poll.
That Google document is no longer accepting responses.

The results have been individually attached as images to
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/FutureHaikuFeatures

I'd like to keep the FutureHaikuFeatures open until Wed. Dec 15th, as
there's a good number of active committers, who have not posted on
that page.

I find the results pretty interesting, especially since they show a different opinion on some items than what the current voting results are among contributors:

There seems to be a strong desire to get booting issues resolved and better hardware support:
 * Bootman shall support multiple drives
 * Video mode setting drivers
 * Finalizing new driver architecture
(* Updating drivers to new architecture)
 * Boot failure issues
 * Supported driver issues

The networking aspect is strong:
* WiFi (luckily the contributors think the same and double luckily it is being worked on already)
 * Networked filesystems support

I think the new driver architecure items are not as telling. Perhaps they looked to many people as though it falls in the same category as fixing hardware issues. Other than these items I mentioned, the public results seem to line up well with the contributors results so far. Also interesting are the upgrade and package management results. Seems like it was justified that these have been considered a blocker for R1. I would have expected the community to vote differently on the package management, but ok.

All in all we seem to have a lot of work ahead of us, no matter if we only consider the contributors poll, or the community poll. While it seems to me we have even more work ahead of us if we try to implement the community poll, especially with regards to hardware support and boot issues. Especially the graphics drivers would be a chunk of work, though I wonder if the poll results would still be the same if we had less issues with already existing drivers.

Best regards,
-Stephan