[haiku-development] Re: R1 (Final) General Interest poll closed. Results posted. ...

  • From: SMC.Collins@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:16:50 -0500

On 14 Dec 2010 at 21:08, Adrien Destugues wrote:

> > I suspect a large percentage of the poll-takers don't even know if
> > their hardware is supported by one of Haiku's existing video drivers,
> > and as a result were unable to make an informed choice on that
> > particular question.

   Intel has roughly 50% of the graphics market. Most computers never see a
updated video
card.Intel holds this huge stake in integrated graphics. Nivida and AMD/ATI
split the
remainder of the market. If you look at Nvidia and AMD in integrated. AMD holds
a good
chunk there something like 50% of the reamining market share. If you were to
target 2
companies. I would target AMD and Intel. consistent design and market share
being the 2
largest reasons to do so.

> I think it's cheating to ignore the result telling people 'anyway, you
> didn't understand the question'. A lot of people have or had problems
> with video mode setting. I know my work on intel_extreme helped some of
> them (including myself).

   Analysis of the results gives them value. The question is. Do people really
understand the
pmact of the must haves. I also noticed that you could vote more then once in
the public
poll. The question becomes, who voted and why.

> People were allowed to tell they didn't understand the question. So,
> why would they have checked an answer anyway ?

   Who really wants to admit to such a thing.

> We have to face it : there are some hardware problems still here, and
> it's part of what prevented BeOS from being really successful back in
> the last century. We have to take it into account and set up a plan of
> action. Or, we may decide to ignore it anyway, but I don't think that's
> a good move.

   I would love to have mode setting on my nforc 8300 chipset machine. Also on
my card
which is a 5770. I would be willing to consider helping to develop or loaning
my card if there
is a developer willing to work with me on it.

> For intel_extreme and radeon the problem is not so hard to solve : the
> hardware is well documented, and there's xorg code at hand for
> reference. For nvidia, I don't think there are available specs (unless
> I missed something), so it's a bit more difficult.

   Atom BIOS was open sourced IIRC.

  can be found here.

 xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati ("radeon")
xorg/driver/xf86-video-radeonhd ("radeonhd")

  I also belive the intel may have opensourced the intel drivers here

http://intellinuxgraphics.org/

> While Haiku may happen to work on your computer, I have a 0% success
> rate on mine (a Dell inspiron 1525 and an IBM Thinkpad T60). Both had
> problem when I got them and I had to fix the driver to get them
> working. It's worth noting that a lot of other devs are using T60s and
> have no problem with them. These two computers are built around the
> GMA965, which is now rather old and deprecated. I think any new
> computer you can buy will have unsupported video hardware. Seeing that
> R1 is not happenning now, the situation will be even worse when we hit
> the market. And the OS not being able to show up in the right video
> mode is a good reason to not keep it around on modern flat panel
> scrrens (on CRTs it was is not a problem as big).

   its works on 70% of the hardware I test it on. A bit buggy at times and
oddly better with
newer hardware versus legacy hardware. At least such has been my experience.

> With the specs available, and the hardware at hand, writing a driver is
> not a very long task if you only do mode setting and framebuffer
> access. I think we could get the hardware founded by the NPO or even
> lended by users willing to get the driver done. In some cases it may
> even be possible to work remotely using ssh to a user's box.

   its not exactly easy and it takes someone with strong knowledge in both
departments.

> --
> Adrien.

  Sean C.