[haiku-development] Re: Package Management - devel or not to devel?

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 21:00:36 +0200

Hi,

On 2013-09-03 at 18:22:58 [+0200], Alexander von Gluck IV
<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[ ... ]

> It was mentioned that CD's are the same size and haven't changed much. While
> this information is true, it really isn't a valid argument here.  The
> majority of the packages that would contain "excessive" development
> resources wouldn't be on the installation CD.

Just to give an overview of what we're talking about:
        ffmpeg_devel (4 MB)
        freetype_devel (1.5 MB)
        glu_devel (1.5 MB)
        libxml2_devel (1.5 MB)
        mesa_devel (5 MB)
        openssl_devel (3 MB)
        subversion (4.5 MB)
Shown sizes are the ones of the hpkg files.

I'm not saying that those wouldn't fit on the CD, but I don't consider these
sizes negligible.

[ ... ]

> This is generally where I've seen pain.  If you've compiled more than a few
> pieces of software under any RPM based distro you've seen this. The minute
> you step outside of the source RPM box, you're left in a cycle of:
>
>  - running ./configure
>  - install missing package X-devel
>  - running ./configure
>  - install missing package Y-devel
>  - running ./configure
>  - install missing package Z-devel
>  - etc
>
> Do that for more than a few source archives in a row and you will be in the
> no-devel camp pretty quickly :-)

Actually, with merged packages, it's not so unlikely that you'll be doing
this instead:

 - running ./configure
 - install missing package X
 - running ./configure
 - install missing package Y
 - running ./configure
 - install missing package Z
 - etc

Granted, maybe with fewer laps in general, but it's not as if all libraries
required by the to-be-compiled software will just happen to already be
installed  on your system.

cheers,
        Oliver