[haiku-development] Re: Package Management - devel or not to devel?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 11:20:33 -0400

I really think the discussion is becoming somewhat of a "bike-shed",
mainly because separating the -devel packages really has no downside
except maybe a slightly more complicated job for the packagers. But it
sounds like Ingo and Oliver have tried to make that as painless as
possible. Consider how many packages they have had to create, and that
they would not want to make their own development lives overly
difficult.

From an end-user's perspective, there is no downside, because it is
pretty trivial to have the option to always install the -devel
packages alongside the normal package if that is really the behavior
one wants. In that scenario everyone wins. If everything was jumbled
and installed together it would be impossible or very difficult to
remove the development stuff for the 80% of the people who don't want
or need it.

Also I think many of you guys are missing the fact that once we have
and use this new package management system, most of us will never be
compiling software anyhow. And if one finds an obscure piece of
software which is not yet in the package system, it isn't much more
difficult to just create the .recipe file, build it and then upload to
a package repo. Then most people won't have to compile that package
manually anymore.

--
Regards,
Ryan