[haiku-development] Re: Optional Library Package

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 19:38:20 +0200

On 2010-05-12 at 17:04:42 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:13, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Anway, I don't think that's what Karl was referring to. I think this is
> > about software packages that require libraries not included with Haiku.
> > Which admittedly is very inconvenient for users. Package management would
> > solve that problem.
>
> For Haiku's packager manager IIRC, this is the overview of what needs
> to be done:
>
>    1. UnionFS needs to be implemented, such that one can edit a file
> that has been inserted by a package (like config files).
>    2. thorough testing required
>    3. test packages need to be created

Plus, obviously, writing the package management application itself. Also
packagefs is only a prove of concept ATM (among other things lacking query
support). The package format specifies merely an archive format yet. The
meta information are completely missing.

> Looking at http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/FutureHaikuFeatures , the
> package manager is certainly one of the big items that'd look great on
> the next release.

Indeed.

> How long should the UnionFS take if someone was able
> to work 40/wk?

That depends on its features. A simple read-only version can probably done
in one or two weeks. Though that will possibly not suffice for what we want
to use it for. Write support is way more work. I've been thinking about
whether it might even be better not to make it an actual FS, but rather a
VFS feature. That would significantly increase its flexibility, e.g.
allowing live operations like putting a layer over or under a directory tree
of an already mounted volume (including "bind" mounting known from Linux as
a simple special case). I haven't had a closer look what necessary VFS that
might entail. Could turn out to be quite a big project.

CU, Ingo