[haiku-development] Re: Optional Library Package

  • From: Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:38:18 -0400

"Anway, I don't think that's what Karl was referring to. I think this is about
software packages that require libraries not included with Haiku. Which
admittedly is very inconvenient for users. Package management would solve
that problem."

Well, I was referring to offering an optional package with compatibility,
legacy and native libraries included - in the meantime...

And, I'm not so sure a package manager would solve the problem. It would
probably solve the problem for packages offered in the package manager's
repository which would then grab the dependencies. What about when a user
downloads software from a website however (as is mostly done now)? Some
people prefer downloading through a web interface because it offers features
that package managers don't.

I just think it'd be very convenient to have an optional package of popular
common libraries; there can't be that many.

--

Karl vom Dorff
B.Sc (Hons) Biology, (German minor)

http://www.numbdesign.com