[haiku-development] Re: Optional Library Package

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar.adema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 21:48:02 +0100

Hi Urias,

Urias McCullough wrote:
I know the "disk space is cheap" argument always seems to come up -
but I really don't want to waste a GB of space just to have a ton of
3rd party shared libs and their includes, man pages, static libs, and
documentation floating around that I'll never use. It's not uncommon
for me to dedicate a 4-8gb partition at most to Haiku... especially on
my netbook.
I agree on the small partitions on netbooks, but the fact that the optionalpackages often install man pages, headers files, etc, is just a choice of the haiku-ports project to include that all. Any of the linux distro's actually split that into the main package containing the runtime files, and a -dev package including the headers and static libs, which saves quite a bit of space already....

HTH,

Ithamar.