[haiku-development] Re: Optional Library Package

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 19:43:24 +0200

On 2010-05-12 at 18:38:18 [+0200], Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Anway, I don't think that's what Karl was referring to. I think this is
> about
> software packages that require libraries not included with Haiku. Which
> admittedly is very inconvenient for users. Package management would solve
> that problem."
>
> Well, I was referring to offering an optional package with compatibility,
> legacy and native libraries included - in the meantime...

OK.

> And, I'm not so sure a package manager would solve the problem. It would
> probably solve the problem for packages offered in the package manager's
> repository which would then grab the dependencies. What about when a user
> downloads software from a website however (as is mostly done now)? Some
> people prefer downloading through a web interface because it offers features
> that package managers don't.

As long as the software comes in the then-standard package format (including
declaration of all its dependencies) this is really something the package
manager should be able to handle.

> I just think it'd be very convenient to have an optional package of popular
> common libraries; there can't be that many.

A pseudo package depending on all this stuff could be created. That would
allow for easy installation with installoptionalpackage. I'm not convinced
that we should ship the releases with all of it preinstalled, though.

CU, Ingo