[haiku-development] Re: Optional Library Package

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:04:52 -0700

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Once it's gotten a bit more testing I was hoping to add this as an
>> optionalpackage.  Would there be any objections to that?
>
> Yes, but only a bit. A package like this is pretty much unmaintainable
> IMO - it should be broken down to the single packages, and then a meta
> package should be created that depends on them all. However, some
> packages (like dl, openssl) point to broken ports (both are available
> in a Haiku installation, anyway, the former is even part of libroot.
> so).
>
> Besides that, I think we're abusing the optional package mechanism,
> anyway, so it probably doesn't matter anymore what stuff we add there.
> It's just a sign that we really should get our real packagement
> solution implemented.
>
> Bye,
>   Axel.

Oh, I should have included this:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/browser/haikuports/trunk/packs/libpak/libpak-0.9.3.bep
This is the current .bep file that is used for building the libpak.
The list of included packages starts on line 19.  It calls haikuporter
for each of the libs and is as maintainable as the current Haiku
OptionalPackages file.  We could separate them all out into individual
packages and then include them all into a meta package like is done
with the Development packages.  But that would add 50 or so more
entries to the already growing list of OptionalPackages.
The real trick with this package is that they have to be built in a
certain order so that each of a packages required dependencies are
built before we build the package itself, so that they get detected
and used when building the target package.

Speaking of Package Management... right now Haikuporter creates all of
the resulting packages as .zip files that extract to /boot, putting
the files in /boot/apps, /boot/common as required.  I figure it could
easily be extended to be the packaging tool that is used for creating
whatever type of packages we end up creating for the (so far
unwritten?) Haiku Package Manager.  We already have over 300 different
.bep files written for automated building of packages.

-scottmc