[haiku-development] Re: Optional Library Package

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 11:30:34 -0700

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> I just think it'd be very convenient to have an optional package of popular
>> common libraries; there can't be that many.
>
> A pseudo package depending on all this stuff could be created. That would
> allow for easy installation with installoptionalpackage. I'm not convinced
> that we should ship the releases with all of it preinstalled, though.

I know I wouldn't like them pre-installed at least. I don't intend to
run many legacy BeOS apps, nor do I plan to use many apps that rely on
the "SDL lib hell" (seriously, I can't believe how many libs the
average SDL game requires these days!).

I know the "disk space is cheap" argument always seems to come up -
but I really don't want to waste a GB of space just to have a ton of
3rd party shared libs and their includes, man pages, static libs, and
documentation floating around that I'll never use. It's not uncommon
for me to dedicate a 4-8gb partition at most to Haiku... especially on
my netbook.

Making the lib packages separately installable is preferred for me (I
disliked that "LibPak" concept, and I didn't much like BeOS Max
either). IIRC, we already have an SDL package right? A meta-package
for those who want "everything" would be fine I guess, but if the
answer to every support question becomes: 'Just install the
"everything" package!', I think we'll ultimately be doing the
community and users a disservice.

Even better would be to have games and legacy apps
(non-security-sensitive stuff) shipped with their dependencies already
in the archive... that way we don't run into as many version conflicts
later on.

- Urias