[haiku-development] Re: Mercurial

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:18:00 -0500

On Mar 12, 2010, at 10:47 AM, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

However, if there are others out there like me (perhaps
with better changes) then subversion really is hurting the project by
hiding good code in peoples local branches rather than allowing them
to put those changes on the Internet.

I feel it's more desirable to have good, finished patches all
available on trac for inclusion on the svn, than a lot of hackish,
half-finished, outdated and incertain patches floating all around the
internet.

-- Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx

I agree with you Adrien. I'd like to see polished patches submitted to trac not hacks. However that just isn't how software development is done, it is an iterative process that starts with a hack and is refined into a gem. I have no desire to alter the practices of the mainline developers arbitrarily, I'd just like to have a place for us B developers to post our changes for review. Trac isn't it. Trac is for the gems but where do the hacks and iterations of hacks go? Can I use the mercurial repo linked above for my hacks just to have an Internet accessible place for them to live while they are in development? That would make me happy.

John Scipione