[haiku-development] Re: Mercurial

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:32:44 +0100

Hi Andreas,

On 9 March 2010 19:48, Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 09.03.2010 um 16:09 schrieb Niels Reedijk:
>
>> On 7 March 2010 20:55, Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>>

>>> Everything would be fine if you guys would use Mercurial and we could opt
>>> use another system for working on our patches. But unfortunately while
>>> there
>>> are many -g/--git options in hg, for Git users there is no official
>>> git-hg
>>> to interact with Mercurial from Git. A quick search turned up only the
>>> reverse:
>>> http://hg-git.github.com/
>>
>> In that case I think you'd be happy to know that there is also a git
>> mirror of the SVN repository (http://git.haiku-os.org).
>
> Actually no because, as you say, it is a mirror of the SVN repository.
> That's easy with git-svn. More interesting would be whether you would still
> Git-mirror a future Mercurial repository, e.g., using hg-git above, or
> whether someone has experience with accessing a Mercurial repo from her
> favorite versioning system.

I think you are under an assumption that there is an eminent switch to
another revision control system and that Mercurial has a preference.
Neither discussion is being held at the moment, so there is no reason
to discuss whether a probable future SCM is compatible with your
favorite one.

[The reason a hg.haiku-os.org was set up is mostly historic; it was
used by Waldemar Kornewald to keep track of his changes to Trac. When
we (haiku sysadmins) moved to the new server, we migrated the hg
repositories as well and Ingo set up the hg source mirror as an extra
service. There was never an endorsement]

>> I hope you are willing to try the MQ extension first and
>> share your experiences with us, it might be useful to learn different
>> workflows and publish these.
>
> Sure, I'm interested in helping document the necessary processes. For
> general Git-vs.-Mercurial stuff I would prefer to put it in the Mercurial
> Wiki and link to that, for more Haiku-specific things maybe we can start a
> new How to compile Haiku from Mercurial guide.

That sounds like a good thing; documenting how to compile Haiku from
one of the alternative SCMs.

The next step is documenting a workflow for developers with the
alternative SCM. There are two lines of doing that; the first would be
along the line of getting a personal migration of the repository with
hgsvn or git-svn. That is the only way to get a git or hg repository
that can exchange data with the svn repository. (As far as I found
there is no way to share the metadata that the svn converters use to
keep track of the status of svn and migrated repositories).

For non-svn committers we can design another type of documentation;
one that shows how hackers can use the cloned hg or git repository and
use that to track patches that they (and others) made.

I am not a developer, but I would be more than willing to help
designing and considering some alternative SCM configurations for
developers (and their users/testers). The logical point would probably
be those that are working in a specific developer branch, but there it
is only useful to start discussing that if there is interest in that.

Regards,