[haiku-development] Re: Mercurial

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:12:20 -0400

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 13:27, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2010-03-21 at 16:28:33 [+0100], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> I think Trac is much nicer than Patchwork, as it allows more people to
>> comment on the patch and to get cc'ed on the ones you're interested
>> in. It's the Trac -> SVN step that's the bigger burden for the
>> developers, I guess, and Patchwork doesn't help with that.
>
> Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. To add something to the
> discussion, I think an automated Trac -> SVN workflow needs test suites as
> well. We would need build bots which need to run the tests with the patches
> applied and report regressions. Unfortunately, Haiku is vastly complex and
> I don't believe we have the resources to build something that would catch
> all sorts of regressions. Detecting style violations and build breakage
> seem like the first possible goal.

Haiku Build-O-Matic is doing ok so far at detecting build breakage.
Though, there's plenty of room for improvement.

The targets are being built for each architecture are in their
individual folders here:
http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/haikubuildomatic/repository/show/branches/rewrite2/data
I'll gladly add any new targets.

The netboot target is an example of a more complex target, requiring
setting of individual jam variables
It's command would look something like
`jam -q -sTARGET_BOOT_PLATFORM=pxe_ia32 pxehaiku-loader haiku-netboot-archive`
http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/haikubuildomatic/repository/entry/branches/rewrite2/data/x86gcc4hybrid/haiku-netboot-archive.xml

In the short term, I'd like to stabilize the upload schedule, right
now it's slowly slipping to a later time. Getting BOM running on linux
& Haiku, and then implement the ability to send reports to a central
website (as opposed to each machine sending it's own build failure
emails)

If anyone's curious, I did look at BuildBot a few months ago.  At the
time, I wasn't sure how to set it up to track both buildtools & haiku.
There were a few other bits that didn't seem to fit.

--mmadia