[haiku-development] Re: Installation Question

  • From: Daniel Hsu <eraserwars@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 23:13:37 -0700

Ok I've managed to get my Vista working again, and now I'm a little worried
about installing Haiku disk again. I currently have two dvd disks, both
burned using Active@ ISO Burner as suggested from the website. One of them
was burned from the ISO file provided from  University of
Twente<http://www.snt.utwente.nl/> link
here:  http://haiku-os.org/get-haiku . This was the one that broke my
Windows. I have another another disk that i obtained from the Anyboot file
from the  University of Twente <http://www.snt.utwente.nl/>. However when I
burned this Anyboot file to a disk, Active@ ISO Burner did not have an
option for .image files, only .img and .iso files, but I chose the option
that burned any file to disk using the option "Any Raw File (*.*)"
From what I've heard from a helpful developer is that the Anyboot disk
should be ok to use.

My question is, would you recommend trying the Anyboot disk instead of
retrying the iso disk now? Anyboot is the preferred format right?

Just for reference, the error I got when trying to boot Haiku from the iso
disk is that it had the same error as here:

http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4555

except typing "continue" didn't make the computer do anything. Then there
was a lot of debug traces from "kdebug". The funny thing is that I could
see half of the Haiku start up screen with the icons, but the top half of
the screen was filled with these errors. My computer is 32 bit Hp laptop
with a Intel Centrino Duo processor and has good enough specs to handle
windows 7, so I don't think it's that my computer can't handle Haiku.

I'm sorry if this was really long or confusing, but does anyone have any
advice. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Daniel