[haiku-development] Re: [HaikuPorts-devs] sed

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 17:17:25 +0100

On 2010-03-05 at 19:39:22 [+0100], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 08:59, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2010-03-05 at 14:02:50 [+0100], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> Basically, Sed becomes its own package, which creates a symlink in
> >> /system/bin to /boot/common/bin
> >
> > /boot/system is the base system and /boot/common extends it. So it kind of
> > feels wrong to link in this direction. Things are a bit mixed, though.
> > Since
> > /boot/system is read-only, the non-read-only stuff that is associated
> > with it
> > lives in /boot/common, too. It would be consequent to configure sed to use
> > the same split. Though, honestly, I find that rather ugly.
> >
> > I guess one could consequently move all third party packages to
> > /boot/common.
> > This could get problematic in cases where core components depend on third
> > party libraries. OTOH those libraries could be made completely private to
> > the
> > system components (as opposed to the recent trend), duplicating them (as a
> > real optional package) in /boot/common for third party components, if
> > needed.
> >
> > ATM I really have no clear vision of a setup that sounds "right".
>
> What about my earlier suggestion : The sources stay within our
> repository. The build system is extended to support : 1. detecting if
> that program has a prebuilt package available for download, 2. the
> ability to fall-back to compiling the source code if none is available
> (or if instructed by the user). 3. some user-triggered mechanism for
> creating a new prebuilt package -- eg, when ever that package's
> sources are updated.

I don't quite see what that has to do with the /boot/system vs. /boot/common
split. Besides, one of the main benefits of outsourcing third party packages
is to reduce maintenance overhead. Dealing with both prebuilt packages and
the source sounds counter-productive in this regard.

BTW, with OpenSSL being installed in /boot/common, /boot/system is already no
longer self-contained.

CU, Ingo