[haiku-development] Re: [HaikuPorts-devs] sed

  • From: Bryan Varner <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 09:49:00 -0500

> > In the back of my mind everytime I'm using yum, apt, etc. I have this
> > voice saying, "Why can't I just download what I need and run it?"
>
> The downside of the static link approach is precisely the reason
> shared libs exist: if, say, a lib is found to have a bug in it, you
> now get to update every single app that linked against it (and
> consequently redownload the entire library size * number of binaries),
> rather than just updating the one .so and having all of them
> automatically pick up the bugfix. While disk space is certainly cheap,
> inet download speeds aren't quite so generous for me at least.

Yeah, and I think theres a happy medium in there somewhere. Anyhow, that
discussion is off topic of the original cross-post, and I apologize for
TBMC.  (Typing Before Morning Caffeine)

> Just depends on which set of problems we'd rather have to deal with.

Haiku and it's library search paths make packaging applications with
their own dependencies all too nice (almost like OS X does but without
the ambiguity) and I really do like that solution. You can use a shared
lib provide your own, and mix n' match static & dynamic libs. Very Nice.

I smell another pot of coffee brewing....