[haiku-development] Re: [HaikuPorts-devs] sed

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 13:39:22 -0500

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 08:59, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2010-03-05 at 14:02:50 [+0100], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Basically, Sed becomes its own package, which creates a symlink in
>> /system/bin to /boot/common/bin
>
> /boot/system is the base system and /boot/common extends it. So it kind of
> feels wrong to link in this direction. Things are a bit mixed, though. Since
> /boot/system is read-only, the non-read-only stuff that is associated with it
> lives in /boot/common, too. It would be consequent to configure sed to use
> the same split. Though, honestly, I find that rather ugly.
>
> I guess one could consequently move all third party packages to /boot/common.
> This could get problematic in cases where core components depend on third
> party libraries. OTOH those libraries could be made completely private to the
> system components (as opposed to the recent trend), duplicating them (as a
> real optional package) in /boot/common for third party components, if needed.
>
> ATM I really have no clear vision of a setup that sounds "right".

What about my earlier suggestion : The sources stay within our
repository. The build system is extended to support : 1. detecting if
that program has a prebuilt package available for download, 2. the
ability to fall-back to compiling the source code if none is available
(or if instructed by the user). 3. some user-triggered mechanism for
creating a new prebuilt package -- eg, when ever that package's
sources are updated.

--mmadia