[haiku-development] Re: Google's NativeClient.

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:13:36 -0200

Jonas Sundström escreveu:

The Native Client binaries are x86 binaries.

If Native Client gets popular and starts replacing other more crossplatform web technologies (truly or at least potentially crossplatform) it will hurt interoperability.

No, it will not. You guys seem to be missing the point completelly. Native Client is just a different target for a program. It is no different than a Windows port and x86 Linux port of a software. The only difference is actually a good one, as doing a Native Client port would automatically support Windows, Linux and MacOS for now (and other x86 OSs in the future). This in no way will determine if a company will port anythig to other processors or not. If anything, it will actually free resources for companies to invest on other platforms. I have no idea about how can someone try to paint a negative image for this, really.

People with x86 hardware get somewhat better performance and the others are locked out, unless they write x86 emulation and can live with seriously degraded performance.

Why? Either other platforms do not have support for whatever it is or they do and they will still have it. Why would a native Client port have any impact in other ports? This is nonsense.

Just what the world needed: another x86 lock-in. Great plan, Google. (note: sarcasm)

I will refrain from commenting on this. And this is getting completelly of topic anyway. If this would make you feel better, I can reconsider my plans to port it to Haiku but I still can not understand how having it would be a bad thing. Really.

-Bruno