[haiku-development] Re: Google's NativeClient.

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:53:07 -0500

Michael Weirauch wrote:
2008/12/11 Raymond C. Rodgers <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>:
Bruno Albuquerque wrote:
In case you guys missed it, we (Google) released our Native Client
project. This project was created to allow the execution of native code
inside a browser (for obvious reasons, it only works with x86 platforms).
The reason I bring it up is that it can also be ran as an stand-alone
container for applications so this can be used to create multi-OS
applications that runs unmodified under any supported OS. For example, SDL
Quake was ported to it and the required modifications were very small. The
new Quake executable runs equally well under Linux, Windows and MacOS (all
supported platforms).

Maybe this could be something good to bring to Haiku? I would be willing
to work on the specific Haiku port but the build system requires scons and I
am not very motivated to port this. :) Anyway up to the task of porting
scons to Haiku? Maybe this could be a candidate for a HaikuPorts project?

Anyway, more information here:

http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/

-Bruno

Michael Weirauch already ported scons to Haiku, it's in the Haiku ports. :-)
I tried working with it to get V8 up and running, but didn't get very far. I
think that the SControls file needs to be  updated for Haiku (in V8) and it
was easier for me to make a simple makefile than to learn scons. Hopefully
you (or whoever ports NativeClient) won't run into the same issue.

Raymond

Blender - which isn't that of a small project - builds through without
any issues.
So I guess it's ok. The port might need a small revision regarding the default
environment paths which are set, though.

Michael

Yeah, it didn't seem to be a problem with your port, just with the actual build file. :-)
Raymond