[haiku-development] Re: Google's NativeClient.

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:08:55 +0100 CET

> If Native Client gets popular and starts replacing other more
> crossplatform web technologies (truly or at least potentially
> crossplatform) it will hurt interoperability. People with x86
> hardware
> get somewhat better performance and the others are locked out, unless
> they write x86 emulation and can live with seriously degraded
> performance.
>
> Just what the world needed: another x86 lock-in. Great plan, Google.

I really wonder as well. I also wonder how they cope with cpu-specific
stuff... mmx ? 3dnow ? :D
x86 isn't the cleanest arch to use for that kind of stuff.
Time will tell I suppose.

I wish they would push for Java with a faster gui layer instead (java
isn't that slow, it's the AWT/Swing pile that slows it down). Oh well.

François.