[haiku-development] Re: Disable screensaver?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:36:42 +0100 CET

> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > I think we need a more generic approach, which will also have to
> > work when
> > we implement any power saving stuff. An application needs to be
> > able to
> > tell the system that it's "doing something". Obviously, all apps
> > are doing
> > something, but there has got to be a way for the system to
> > determine if
> > that is something the user cares about or not. For example, the
> > SETI@Home
> > client my peak the CPUs, but it could be regarded different from a
> > long
> > running rendering of some 3D application. Ideally, I'd like to be
> > able to
> > configure this, but have some useful defaults. Possibly even
> > depending on
> > daytime. For example, if the MediaPlayer is playing a movie, no
> > matter if
> > full screen or not, the screen saver would never go on and the
> > system would
> > never go into stand-by. When it plays audio, one may want to go
> > into
> > stand-by if the system has been idle for an hour and if it's past
> > 23:00 or
> > something (with a way to configure this).
> >
> > A function to temporarily disable the screen saver is only the
> > first step
> > of a frame work where applications can fine tune certain behavior
> > of the OS
> > with regards to the system being considered "idle". I think such a
> > frame
> > work will certainly be needed.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > -Stephan
> >

> Beautiful! Maybe a registry for programs and possibly actions...

You really don't want to use this word here... (registry)
Some people get sick when they see it.

> while said programs are running, or certain actions are taking place
> (obviously configurable with a very nice looking interface involving
> lists with programs and icons and their respective power settings
> (and
> possibly more icons? I'm on an icon kick right now.), the system will
> not or will do specific things.

This would need some GUIed scripting engine, like Apple does...

> Akin to advanced configuration for firewalls, which allow certain
> programs in/out/both or only during certain times. "When Media Player
> is Playing on Battery after 12:00 AM and there's a full moon,..."
> (okay, not really)
>
> All that's really needed (if you wanted to get this fine-grained) is
> way for programs to export their actions; the lookups for running
> programs could always be done via their MIME types.

This exists already, it's called the scripting interface...
See
http://www.beunited.org/bebook/Messages/ScriptingMessages.html

> So that, instead of each program having a configuration option
> relevant to system power, let the operating system (actually, a power
> daemon process) handle it!

Or just a bash script :P

Fraçois.