[haiku-development] Re: Disable screensaver?

  • From: "Truls Becken" <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:24:04 +0100

Axel Dörfler wrote:
>> Why not make the switch to full screen in itself disable the screen
>> saver? That way, no individual application and/or graphics library
>> need to think about this problem.
>
> You could use normal windows (like WonderBrush, or Firefox) in full
> screen, too. No reason to turn off the screen saver, then.
> It could be a window flag (or connected to a window in some way),
> though, so that the screen saver is always disabled when that
> particular window is visible.

Yes, you are right. More fine grained control is needed. Also, the
user should be able to control what apps or windows to consider.

Stephan Assmus wrote:
> I think we need a more generic approach, which will also have to work when
> we implement any power saving stuff. An application needs to be able to
> tell the system that it's "doing something".

<snip>

> A function to temporarily disable the screen saver is only the first step
> of a frame work where applications can fine tune certain behavior of the OS
> with regards to the system being considered "idle". I think such a frame
> work will certainly be needed.

You could define the screensaver timer as an event. Then this would be
part of the great OS level event system that has been discussed
earlier. One of the criteria available to the event system could be
whether the system is "idle", with the definition of idle being there
is no mouse/keyboard input and no application is telling the system it
is entertaining the user.

Truls