[haiku-development] Re: Disable screensaver?

  • From: "Truls Becken" <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:48:16 +0100

scott mc wrote:
> A topic that came up on the Allegro mailing list was about disabling
> the screensaver when playing a game full screen, since on many systems
> using a joystick/gamepad doesn't stop the screensaver from coming up.
> Is there a way on Haiku to do this?  They are talking about adding a
> function to Allegro, and we would just need to add the Haiku specific
> function to our port, that is if it's even needed...

Starting the screen saver is almost always a bad idea when something
is full screen. Movies and presentations, for example, are usually
watched by people for a relatively long time without any input devices
being touched. If the screen saver comes on, the presenter has to
touch the keyboard or mouse just to get it away.

Why not make the switch to full screen in itself disable the screen
saver? That way, no individual application and/or graphics library
need to think about this problem.

Truls