[haiku-development] Re: Disable screensaver?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:45:26 +0100 CET

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > "Truls Becken" <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Why not make the switch to full screen in itself disable the
> > > screen
> > > saver? That way, no individual application and/or graphics
> > > library need
> > > to think about this problem.
> > You could use normal windows (like WonderBrush, or Firefox) in full
> > screen, too. No reason to turn off the screen saver, then. It could
> > be a
> > window flag (or connected to a window in some way), though, so that
> > the
> > screen saver is always disabled when that particular window is
> > visible.
> I think we need a more generic approach, which will also have to work
> when
> we implement any power saving stuff. An application needs to be able
> tell the system that it's "doing something".
[...]

Sure, but this has not much to do with the screen saver problem; if an
application is downloading a file, I don't want Windows to sleep and
disconnect, but the screen saver should still be started.

While you don't want to put the system into sleep mode when watching
video either, this is a different problem (even though this could be
automatic whenever the screen saver is disabled).

In general, a power management framework is definitely needed anyway,
true.

Bye,
   Axel.