[haiku-development] Re: Comments on these possible OptionalPackages

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 19:15:18 +0200 CEST

Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2009-05-18 at 09:55:11 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> [...]
> > Having said that, those additional things won't really hold up the
> > alpha - if there are problems with the code, or it's not finished
> > yet,
> > it just won't be part of it.
> I don't think it's that simple. Some features won't be separate
> enough to
> just be disabled, if they aren't in acceptable shape. Localization is
> perfect example -- it needs to be integrated with other kits and all
> applications should use it. Unless everything is strictly #ifdef'ed
> and
> built conditionally -- which will be ugly and quite a bit of work, I
> guess
> -- disabling it won't be possible.
> For large/invasive features I'd suggest to use features branches.
> This adds
> a bit of extra work, but leaves us in control with respect to when to
> merge
> the feature into a release.

Sure, for things like the locale kit, a feature branch sounds like a
good idea.

> I suppose we should also come up with a roadmap to R1 in the near
> future.
> The alpha 1 release process will be quite straight forward -- just
> create a
> branch and only allow bug fixes in it -- but reverting to the current
> "put
> everything into the trunk" strategy afterwards will certainly not be
> helpful.

Indeed, maybe we just shouldn't release Haiku ever to avoid that extra
work 8-)
Anyway, I think most stuff can be done in trunk for R1. Only stuff
that's not part of the roadmap might not be a good idea to put into.

Bye,
   Axel.