[haiku-development] Re: Comments on these possible OptionalPackages

  • From: Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 13:44:04 +0200

Axel Dörfler ha scritto:
Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
Actually, I am not a friend of that so much. I'm a friend of consistent and complete APIs, and that's something hard to achieve when one just declare various open source implementations as standard. That's how POSIX works for example, and I wouldn't call this a good API for the most part (at least it's consistently cryptic) :-) I rather like to take good open source implementations, and either integrate it completely, or at least have a wrapper around it that makes it convenient (= consistent with the common API) to use.
+1. As such, I'd vote for integrating InfoPopper. Maybe some parts could be shared by a tool tip implementation, which we are still missing as well... :-)

I wasn't particularly targeting at InfoPopper here - I haven't had a look at its API, maybe it already fits perfectly, maybe not.
If you have time, here's the library:
http://svn.osdrawer.net/infopopper/trunk/libinfopopper/

Basically, IPConnection is a connection to the server, the Send method sends a properly formatted message. The message information is taken from a IPMessage which contains notification type (information, error, etc...), progress, title, content, application name and icon.

Some programs, like Vision directly send messages to infopopper_server.
This is not a bad behaviour, but if InfoPopper will be integrated with Haiku it will be better to use libinfopopper which will take into account possible changes in the message format.

Please, provide me all the indications you think are needed to get InfoPopper integrated with Haiku - even the little ones.