[haiku-development] Re: Comments on these possible OptionalPackages

  • From: Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 08:53:36 +0200

Jonas Sundström ha scritto:
Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In my humble opinion, InfoPopper is a must-have
component given that a lot of other operating
systems have a notification system fully integrated.

The following may be of interest, esp. to people
new to this discussion in a Haiku context:

Big discussion in May 2007
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Notification-Server

And some more in April 2008:
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/infoPopper-info-server

Year++ ;)
InfoPopper is not perfect - I will be glad to collect ideas and suggestions to improve it, but at least it is not annoying as most of the other implementations. You can disable notifications from the preflet, block some messages, the messages will pop up from the Deskbar corner, plus those messages don't steal focus and are not obstrusive.

I know lazy developers can abuse such things, but they can abuse everything else as well, including BAlerts - this doesn't mean that Haiku should not provide BAlerts and notifications, it should be better to teach other developers how and when notifications should pop up.
A paragraph in the human interface guidelines would be enough.

My point is, since InfoPopper is already there and is open source just include it as an optional package to make it somewhat "blessed" by Haiku. It will be a de-facto standard and people will make patches for it instead of writing yet another implementation increasing the entropy the way Linux desktop are messed today.

If you guys provide me a list of things that should be fixed or implemented, on our bug tracker http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/infopopper/issues I'll be happy to implement them.

Cheers.