[openbeos-cdt] Re: Some experiments

  • From: Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:31:40 +0100

@Eddy:
Yea I saw the reference to yellow border themes right after posting :)
SmokeDecor looks pretty nice, but it's a little sad that the tab isn't
yellow. Would definitely make a good alternative scheme to ship with
Haiku. YellowTAB looks like a good homemade skin but I don't think it
has that 100% professional feel to it. Can't really put my finger on
it though. I think it's a little inconsistent if you compare it's
scrollbars with buttons, checkboxes etc - they look a little washed
out while the latter have sharp black edges. Good looking rounded
buttons anyway :)

@Alex:
See new mockups below. I haven't changed the positioning of any
elements but I think you're right about it looking a little cramped. I
have a feeling we'll get very unpopular within the community if we
suggest adding some padding :P A lot of people seem to be really fond
of the ultracompact style.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'll just comment on that. I used to do the same thing with WindowShade
> under BeOS. Some may say, it's too much of that yellow, keep the yellow
> tabs as the distinguishing Haiku look, but leave it at that. I can
> agree with that.

I think window border colour should definitely be adjustable by user.
But if Haiku eventually supports skinning that'll be solved.

> OTOH, colouring the active window's border has the advantage that you
> immediately see which window is active, regardless if it's tab was
> moved out of the screen. Question is: is that really often the case?
> Now with Haiku we even have snapping screen borders, it's not that easy
> anymore to push things out accidentally.

Don't think so, but it also helps (IMO) when you have overlapping
windows. I know, ideally you shouldn't put windows on top of others
but sometimes it just happens, or the extra trouble of precise window
management isn't worth it.

Toggled the visibility of some layers to generate a couple of new mockups:

2b) http://www.oljud.se/files/haiku/2b_semiflat_background.png

This is the original menu background, but with the sharp line removed.
Also reverted the yellow frame.

2c) http://www.oljud.se/files/haiku/2c_gradient_background.png

Added a gradient background as an experiment but I don't like it.
Looks like the window contents is inside a box.

I can upload the .psd if anyone else wants to play around with it. (oh
btw, a "feature" on all screens I haven't mentioned is that the
desktop is clean and empty :))