[openbeos-cdt] Re: Some experiments

  • From: "Alex Suraci" <i.am@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:22:37 -0500

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Alex Suraci <i.am@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > Here's an ever-so-slight tweak:
> >
> > http://toogeneric.com/files/arrows-moved.png
> >
> > [...]
>
> I think so too. I must admit this latest version of the menu looks
> pretty good.
>
> To join the frenzy of mock-ups I've taken Alex's mock-up and tweaked
> it for two things:
>
> 1. I made the outer line on the active window stack border a bit
> darker (and lightened the background to make this change more
> obvious.) This color is from the original mock-up on this thread:
>
> http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/haiku_ui_mockup
>
> I know Humdinger has talked about liking this mock-up but one thing
> no
> one seemed to mention is the darker border color on the outside. I
> think that color (which isn't quite gray, more of a brown) makes the
> windows look a bit crisper. I've only applied it to the active window
> though, where the mock-up above had it on all windows. I think a
> similar shade of gray would be fine too.
>
> The above mock-up also used a 3 pixel border instead of a 4 pixel
> one.
> Though it obviously leaves one less pixel for grabbing to move the
> window by border, it might be a nice compromise between the current
> Haiku 4 pixel border and the 1 pixel border some people want.
>
> 2. I tweaked the drawing around the first tab of the window stack to
> make it more obvious that the windows are stacked together. I think
> if
> we are going to make stack and tile a part of Haiku it needs to be
> made more clear when windows are stacked together. I don't know if
> Johan was actually using stack and tile for his original screenshot,
> but it looks like it so I'm taking advantage. Keep in mind this is
> sort of like what the browser "tabs" will look like if I use stacking
> for it. Probably with the addition of a favicon if the other
> developers let me add support for that :)
>
> Anyhow, here is my mock-up:
>
> http://ryanleavengood.com/haiku/dark_active_border.png
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ryan

A few thoughts:

1. Inactive tabs in the stack should probably be visually independent
from the content (like it was before with that 1px border). Otherwise
it looks like they're all attached to the same content, even though
they're unrelated; for example, if you ignore the BeZillaBrowser tab in
the mockup it just looks like the Haiku tab is an inactive window with
the wrong contents.

I can't think of a different way to express that the windows are
stacked, though.

2. Having that sharp border on the main window is nice, but on inactive
windows it may look too strong. Maybe inactive windows (and tabs, in
the stack's case) could have the softer border?

--
Alex