[openbeos-cdt] Re: Some experiments

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 00:00:12 +0000

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 17:57, Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The X is just a bit too large for my taste (Johan pointed that out as well),
> but it's going the right direction. In an earlier email today, I made
> mention of window decors that used X'es in stead of squares. Here are two:
> http://www.zeta-os.com/cms/images/newspost_images/abiword.jpg (SmokeDecor)
> http://revolf.free.fr/beos/shots/shot_xemacs_zeta_pretty_gonx.png

I also agree the X is a bit too strong visually (both dimension and
thickness of its lines) and prefer the SmokeDecor's 'x'.
Another aspect of SmokeDecor, the contrast between the tab text and
the tab color allows the text to pop out visually.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 18:47, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -- Johan Aires Rastén, on Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:05:38 +0100:
>> 1) http://www.oljud.se/files/haiku/1_border_handles_contrast.png
>>
>> Painted active window border yellow to make it stand out from the
>> background.
>
> OTOH, colouring the active window's border has the advantage that you
> immediately see which window is active, regardless if it's tab was
> moved out of the screen. Question is: is that really often the case?
> Now with Haiku we even have snapping screen borders, it's not that easy
> anymore to push things out accidentally.

Maybe this would be good in temporary situations. Eg, when a user is
moving the window around or resizing it.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 21:06, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Alex Suraci <i.am@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Here's an ever-so-slight tweak:
>>
>> http://toogeneric.com/files/arrows-moved.png
>>
>> All I did was move the arrows over ~2px and down ~1px, but teeny tiny
>> things like that make a huge difference; the UI looks much less hectic
>> to me now.
>>
>> So, perhaps it was less of a padding issue and more of an alignment glitch.
>
> I think so too. I must admit this latest version of the menu looks pretty
> good.

To note, when updating the GUI, Stephan didn't touch Tracker's
navigation bar, so it's still using the older visual style without
gradients.

--mmadia