[haiku-appserver] Re: user needs to know about the clipping region?

  • From: Gabe Yoder <gyoder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:29:30 -0500

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 07:03 am, DarkWyrm wrote:
> >     Guys, I have a(nother) question for you. :-)
> >
> >     Why does the programmer/user needs to know about a view's clipping
> > region?
> >     (let BDirectWindow aside, it's a special case)
> >

> >     Please tell me everything that crosses your mind.
>
> One thing I can think of is when lazy programmers don't want to bother
> with doing high-level clipping on a particular graphics call --
> especially a complicated shape such as BShape, so when they call
> StrokeShape, they set the clipping region for that call only.
>
> --DW

Assuming I know what is going on here (which is a bit of a stretch), it isn't
just a matter of being a lazy programmer.  There isn't any sense in drawing
something that won't be shown, so time can be saved by eliminating some calls
entirely (possibly eliminating calculations of figuring out what would be
drawn in the area).