[haiku-appserver] Re: user needs to know about the clipping region?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:35:45 +0100

Hi Adi,

>     I may be, but every time I read about AGP related stuff, the text said
> something about the card accessing the memory bypassing the CPU or
> fetching big quantities of data. Also, I don't remember from where I
> know (or what left me that impression), the graphics card uses the power
> of AGP when performing actions to the main memory. The other way around,
> CPU writing in graphics memory, I member it simply uses the PCI bus and
> sometimes and extension named FastWrites (the one Rudolf enabled with
> its agp driver).
>     I may be wrong, but AFAIK the above is right.
>     Anyway, excuse the text: "It's not an assumption.". :-)

My subconsience tells me you're right and it would be at least beneficial,
if there was a way to tell the GPU to pull some data from mainmemory
instead of pushing it with the CPU. The first thing would be to include
this in the accelerant API. It would also be great if there was a graphics
memory manager for the "unused" graphics memory. So that bitmaps could
optionally be created in the graphics memory, like B_BITMAP_IS_OFFSCREEN
would suggest. If this "basic" structure was available, we would have a lot
more options not only with regards to buffers for windows in the graphics
memory. BTW, Arno Klenke has recently redesigned the Syllable app_server to
use offscreen buffers for windows. He did have to change the driver API and
implement this in his ATI driver. I would think it is all GPL though, but I
don't know.

Best regards,
-Stephan