[haiku-appserver] Re: testing under R5

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:02:02 +0200

On 2005-09-01 at 11:46:39 [+0200], Adi Oanca wrote:
[...]
>     Well with all these advices I managed to have the server working.
>     However, I feel there are some things wrong with our build system.
> For example: when I build for r5, in system/lib directory I'm getting 2
> libbe libraries: libopenbeos.so and libbe.so. Now, why does libbe.so needs
> to be build when target platform is r5? It doesn't have to be built!

Right, but that probably holds for 90% of the targets of the build system.
The main target is Haiku and disable the build for non-Haiku target
platforms would require to clutter the whole build system with "if
$(TARGET_PLATFORM) == haiku) {...". Besides, in theory a libbe.so for R5
would makes sense, if it were possible to replace the system library (which
it isn't, I know).

The next reincarnation of the build system might support marking targets
suitable for building for a certain platform, but for the moment I'd rather
not try that with the current build system.

>     Another thing: if I want to build the app_server for r5, I must go
> to src/tests/servers/app. Why? This is annoying. I want to be able to build
> the app server from src/servers/app, the right location IMO.

Well, one can argue about that. In fact you don't want to build the app
server, but a special test version of it. Anyway, doing a "jam
haiku_app_server" builds haiku_app_server regardless of where you invoke it,
if that helps.

?

> - in src/kits when building for r5 *only* libopenbeos.so be built (no
> libbe.so!)

If it really annoys you, do it, but I'd actually rather see the build rules
for libopenbeos be moved to src/tests/kits/Jamfile just analog to how it was
done for the test app server.

> - app_server be built in src/servers/app no matter the platform.

Please don't.

> - tests/servers/app *not* not be dependent of app_server but only of
> (libbe.so libroot.so) | (libopenbeos.so)

Yep, that makes sense (should only be the case for "scrolling" and
"textview", I believe).

CU, Ingo