[haiku-appserver] Re: input issues

  • From: Jérôme Duval <korli@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:19:50 +0200

Selon Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:

> I think :-) what he is saying is that there should be two paths for
> updating the mouse position. One is a direct link from the input_server
> to the app_server, and it updates the cursor on screen without taking
> any app_server client communication into account. The second path is
> the messaging from the app_server to the client. (I don't think this
> would need to be a duplicate stream from input_server -> app_server.)
> But this would be done asynchronously from the updating of the mouse
> position on screen.
>
> mouse position path:
> input_server -> app_server -> on screen cursor (immediate update)
>                            -> forward message to client (asynchronoulsy
>                                   and independent of the above)
>
> Did I get it right, Axel? That being said, I have not looked closely at
> how it is currently done in app_server, but I would trust Axels
> observation that the client forwarding is done synchronoulsy to the on-
> screen update.

At least this is the way R5 works. Please have a look at the R5 communication
mode in InputServer.cpp (an area is used for cursor position communication).
It's very simple and clean to me, and fast as well.
BTW, app_server should also send messages when workspace resolution changes (or
use a mechanism to be notified about it).
Can i help to add such mechanism in app_server (keeping any existing code
surely) ?

Bye,
Jérôme