[haiku-appserver] Re: input issues

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:07:17 +0200 CEST

> >>Instead, we should follow
> >>the path R5 has chosen, and use a direct handshake for updating the
> >>mouse cursor position only (note, the view transfer messages are
> > > still
> >>done over the standard message path, only the *visual* position
> > > update
> >>is not, since that's all that matters for perception).
>
>       I don't understand...
>       Are you talking about redirecting B_MOUSE_DOWN messages to the
> client BLooper? I remember sawing something like this in R5.
> (redirect_input_server() was called, I think)

I think :-) what he is saying is that there should be two paths for
updating the mouse position. One is a direct link from the input_server
to the app_server, and it updates the cursor on screen without taking
any app_server client communication into account. The second path is
the messaging from the app_server to the client. (I don't think this
would need to be a duplicate stream from input_server -> app_server.)
But this would be done asynchronously from the updating of the mouse
position on screen.

mouse position path:
input_server -> app_server -> on screen cursor (immediate update)
                           -> forward message to client (asynchronoulsy
                                  and independent of the above)

Did I get it right, Axel? That being said, I have not looked closely at
how it is currently done in app_server, but I would trust Axels
observation that the client forwarding is done synchronoulsy to the on-
screen update.