[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Cool! I may be violating Canonical's New Intellectual Property Policy.

  • From: John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 19:28:40 -0400

You got the Idea Greg! A script is much easier to use than a set of
instructions and much harder to shutdown because me and any other
developer that helps me would be protected by our copy right over the
script. That is why Adobe flash downloaders can be distributed so widely.

On 07/17/2015 05:24 PM, Greg Land wrote:

Or distribute a python script that downloads all of there stuff using
there bandwidth and generates the new image :D

On Jul 17, 2015 9:07 AM, "Anthony Cascone" <ajc317@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:ajc317@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I'm pretty sure that distributing an image within a team is not
the same as re-distributing on the internet. Don't distribute on
the internet and you should be fine. You can, however, share the
instructions you generated to create the VM on the internet so
that others that might be interested can repeat your effort.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 5:01 PM John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I allegedly violated their trademark because I distributed an
Xubuntu VM with non-Ubuntu sourced software for APPPRS without
Canonical's Permission.

On 07/16/2015 08:19 AM, James Keener wrote:
Which part in particular?

On July 16, 2015 6:21:06 AM EDT, John Lewis
<oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/intellectual-property-policy

I am not going to worry about it, according to the following
link that
is largely unenforceable.

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2015/07/15/ubuntu-ip-policy.html

It will make me want to substitute Linux Mint for Ubuntu in the
future.

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my
brevity.