[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Cool! I may be violating Canonical's New Intellectual Property Policy.

  • From: John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 17:17:30 -0400

What does this clause mean Anthony?

"You can redistribute Ubuntu, but only where there has been no
modification to it."

Also, a build script would be an order of magnitude more helpful than a
set of instructions.

Pull request this project https://github.com/Oflameo/ros_xubuntu_build
on github before Canonical starts sending DMCA take downs like they did
to fixubuntu.com
<http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canonical-Accuses-Criticizing-Website-of-Trademark-Infringement-398261.shtml>.

On 07/17/2015 09:06 AM, Anthony Cascone wrote:

I'm pretty sure that distributing an image within a team is not the
same as re-distributing on the internet. Don't distribute on the
internet and you should be fine. You can, however, share the
instructions you generated to create the VM on the internet so that
others that might be interested can repeat your effort.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 5:01 PM John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I allegedly violated their trademark because I distributed an
Xubuntu VM with non-Ubuntu sourced software for APPPRS without
Canonical's Permission.

On 07/16/2015 08:19 AM, James Keener wrote:
Which part in particular?

On July 16, 2015 6:21:06 AM EDT, John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/intellectual-property-policy

I am not going to worry about it, according to the following link
that
is largely unenforceable.

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2015/07/15/ubuntu-ip-policy.html

It will make me want to substitute Linux Mint for Ubuntu in the
future.