[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Cool! I may be violating Canonical's New Intellectual Property Policy.

  • From: John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 00:18:52 -0400

It doesn't say privately. It says that "You can modify Ubuntu for
personal or internal commercial use."

It looks legally indeterminate to me, but I am not a Lawyer who
specailaises in copyright or trademark.

Overall it is not really a big deal for two reasons.

* There are hundreds of other Linux Distributions
* The policy is going to be absurdly hard to enforce, if it even is
currently legally enforceable at all.

In my opinion, ultimately the only two things Canonical will be able to
cover is their trademarks and their patches.

On 07/18/2015 12:00 AM, Anthony Cascone wrote:

What it says is what it means. But building an image and sharing your
work with a team (privately) is not redistribution.
On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 7:27 PM John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

You got the Idea Greg! A script is much easier to use than a set
of instructions and much harder to shutdown because me and any
other developer that helps me would be protected by our copy right
over the script. That is why Adobe flash downloaders can be
distributed so widely.

On 07/17/2015 05:24 PM, Greg Land wrote:

Or distribute a python script that downloads all of there stuff
using there bandwidth and generates the new image :D

On Jul 17, 2015 9:07 AM, "Anthony Cascone" <ajc317@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:ajc317@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I'm pretty sure that distributing an image within a team is
not the same as re-distributing on the internet. Don't
distribute on the internet and you should be fine. You can,
however, share the instructions you generated to create the
VM on the internet so that others that might be interested
can repeat your effort.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 5:01 PM John Lewis
<oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I allegedly violated their trademark because I
distributed an Xubuntu VM with non-Ubuntu sourced
software for APPPRS without Canonical's Permission.

On 07/16/2015 08:19 AM, James Keener wrote:
Which part in particular?

On July 16, 2015 6:21:06 AM EDT, John Lewis
<oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/intellectual-property-policy

I am not going to worry about it, according to the
following link that
is largely unenforceable.

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2015/07/15/ubuntu-ip-policy.html

It will make me want to substitute Linux Mint for Ubuntu in
the future.

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse
my brevity.