[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Cool! I may be violating Canonical's New Intellectual Property Policy.

  • From: John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 01:09:10 -0400

This new policy actually establishes that the GPL firmly trumps any
other BS that Canonical tries to implement. What is wierd is what
happens to all of the non-copyleft software.

I never actually used Ubuntu for two years because I only Ubuntu from
9.10 to 10.10 because Unity was going to be default in 11.04. That was
when I knew I had to go back to the mother ship. Before then I didn't
actually know that GNU/Linux existed, but if I did I would have left
Windows as early as 2007.

Currently I am a dual expert of Debian and Fedora based systems because
I use Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems at work, but I have a strong
preference for Debian in most cases because it is easier for me to do
what I want in Debian due to a bigger repository and a more flexible and
automated tool set.

On 07/18/2015 12:51 AM, Greg Land wrote:

When I switched to arch I learned more about Linux in 3 months then I
did in 2 years of using Ubuntu.
As far as I am concerned canonicals "IP restrictions" are not only
misguided but out and out stupid. (Not to mention gpl unfriendly and
probably contradictory). That kind of bs will kill off Ubuntu pretty
quickly. Not that they haven't been trying to kill it for years with
bad ui design. It sits in an awkward place in my opinion and doesn't
quite fill the shoes it needs to. Kinda like windows 8.

Tldr: Ubuntu sux cause my desktop is not a tablet.

On Jul 18, 2015 12:20 AM, "John Lewis" <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I am already on the dark side, but I do want an Arch LXC. I am
going to go make one.

On 07/18/2015 12:13 AM, Greg Land wrote:

Come to the dark side. We have total control. archlinux.org
<http://archlinux.org>