[guidedogchat] Re: food

  • From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 14:09:09 +0200 (CEST)

Pam,

I feed him twice, as asked by Guide Dogs. He'll feed himself a few more times
if I let him get away with anything! He's the most dreadful scavenger. One
guide dog handler commented that their dog was scavenging less since she
changed the dog's diet, and I have an idea she changed to Burns, but can't be
sure now. I found that bit interesting though. Maybe dogs scavenge for things
that are missing from their diet, which sounds more or less comman-sense. Years
ago, my geese stopped pecking at the greenhouse windows when I put linseed into
their feed; that way they could lose interest in the putty that held the
greenhouse together! Maybe it works like that for dogs.

Vince.

Message Received: Jul 12 2014, 12:19 PM
From: "Pam"
To: "guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Subject: [guidedogchat] Re: food

do u feed once a day or twice? i feed callie twice. she eats really fast too.

Sent from my iPhone
On 12 Jul 2014, at 12:13, Vincent Thacker  wrote:

Norman,

The big kibble sounds like a good idea. My mutt gets through a bowlful of RC in
about half a minute, then he belches! The food can't even be touching the
sides. It doesn't seem good for him to eat like that, but I can't actually
point to any problems caused by it. If I ate like that I'd be doubled up with
reflux. Still, I'm not a dog.

Vince.

Message Received: Jul 12 2014, 11:58 AM
From: "Norman Waddington"
To: guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Pam, Vince and All,

Seeing Dogs start their dogs on Pedigree when they qualify.  It is up to us
what diet we use as we do have to pay for everything ourselves.  I use Dr John
which is big kibble which the dogs have to chew.  It is not just bolted down.
With this picky madam I have to put some tined meat in as well to get her to
eat anything.  I give her 10 minutes and if it has been left it is lifted.

That’s having a Shepherd for you in a situation where there is no psychological
competition.

Norman.

From: "Pam"
To: "guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Subject: [guidedogchat] food

what do other people from other countries feed their dogs? we feed royal cannon
here. although i've heard IGDB have recently switched to hills science plan.

Sent from my iPhone