[guidedogchat] Re: Heyas

  • From: Nadine Lattimore <nadine.lattimore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 21:14:33 +0100

Makes much more sense now, hi Katie.
Of course everything changes when dealing with a young dog handler,
like you said it always seems to be playtime, never mind adding a dog
to the equation!
I guess attention towards the dog does not have to mean full on
playtime. Recess I think you call it could be a great time to burn off
some extra energy for all. Then quiet calm interaction such as gentle
rub, maybe eye contact or good boy/girl is enough to let dog know you
are still there during class. This is just a general idea of how I
manage college lectures.
It will really depend on how the handler and dog interact in general.
How long has the unit been working together? High school would that be
changing rooms every 45minutes?
Here in Ireland the age has dropped recently from 18 to 16 and I am
personally not in favour of this.

Nadine Lattimore