[guidedogchat] Re: Heyas

  • From: "Melanie Akpotu" <melaniemacneill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 01:01:35 +0100

Welcome to the list Katie!!

I think you will have to follow the guidelines already set down by whoever trained this dog. Are you in the UK or Ireland, or further afield? There are rules around work and play, but I have no idea how it works with children, let alone one who is also autistic. It also depends on the type of dog. I don't' mean the breed of dog, I mean its personality and capabilities. Hope this makes sense. Hopefully here you will find a general flavour for guide dogs and what it is all about - that is if you haven't already left the list by now!! I am rather behind with all my mail!!

Mel.

-----Original Message----- From: Katie Moncelsi
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2014 8:21 PM
To: guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [guidedogchat] Heyas

Thought I'd introduce myself since I am new, I am not blind, but I am
hopefully going to be an aide in the upcoming september for a child who
is with autism who has a guide dog, and when i remembered hearing about
this list I hoped I could find info to help with supporting him. I in
the past have met someone with a guide dog and am a tad confused about
rules with play vs. work, with a kid i'm not sure how easy it will be to
keep play mode down.

Katie