[guidedogchat] Re: Heyas

  • From: "J Kimbell" <whitetiger62@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:46:32 +0100

fI know but coupled with Autism? It sounds madness. We havenjt actually said my
son cant have a guide dog, only that a dog is a full time responsiblity as we
all know and is he mature enough to take on that responsibility? And a younger
child, I dont know the extent of this kid's autism, I could understand an
autistic support dog as I know someone who's daughter has one, but she has only
recently taken on more rsponsibility of this dog and is not allowed to take it
out alone. Untill recnetly she had to had a double lead attached so her dad
would also be holding it. Not sure how the hell this blind child with austism
would work a dog!! Its a live animal we are dealing with here. And kids with
mental issues are not always fully aware of this.
Julia

    From: "Nadine Lattimore"
    To: "guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

    Makes much more sense now, hi Katie.
    Of course everything changes when dealing with a young dog handler,
    like you said it always seems to be playtime, never mind adding a dog
    to the equation!
    I guess attention towards the dog does not have to mean full on
    playtime. Recess I think you call it could be a great time to burn off
    some extra energy for all. Then quiet calm interaction such as gentle
    rub, maybe eye contact or good boy/girl is enough to let dog know you
    are still there during class. This is just a general idea of how I
    manage college lectures.
    It will really depend on how the handler and dog interact in general.
    How long has the unit been working together? High school would that be
    changing rooms every 45minutes?
    Here in Ireland the age has dropped recently from 18 to 16 and I am
    personally not in favour of this.

    Nadine Lattimore

    On 5 Apr 2014, at 23:38, Katie Moncelsi wrote:

    >> A blind child with a guide dog thats attistic? Are you serious? How old
is
    >> this child? My own son is blind and mildly autistic but a guide dog is
the
    >> last thing I'd consider suitable for him until he matures more.
    > He's very high functioning, I'd guess you'd call him asperger's instead
    > of autistic. He's 17 years old as well. I probably should have mentioned
    > the school is a high school as well.
    >
    > Katie

07:34:00