[guidedogchat] Re: Heyas

  • From: "J Kimbell" <whitetiger62@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 09:06:13 +0100

I do know that, I'm not stupid, as my son is Autistic, OK? And I know someone
on another list who has an autistic daughter, who has to go to a special school
and has an autistic support dog but she is not blind.

Please dont treat me as though I 'm ignorant as I'm not. I only state my
opinion, and the woman who brought this up has not told us to the extent of
this kid's autism, or even how old, or if she did, then the message did not
show up on my com,puter.

Julia

        From: "Nadine Lattimore"
        To: "guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

        Makes much more sense now, hi Katie.
        Of course everything changes when dealing with a young dog handler,
        like you said it always seems to be playtime, never mind adding a dog
        to the equation!
        I guess attention towards the dog does not have to mean full on
        playtime. Recess I think you call it could be a great time to burn off
        some extra energy for all. Then quiet calm interaction such as gentle
        rub, maybe eye contact or good boy/girl is enough to let dog know you
        are still there during class. This is just a general idea of how I
        manage college lectures.
        It will really depend on how the handler and dog interact in general.
        How long has the unit been working together? High school would that be
        changing rooms every 45minutes?
        Here in Ireland the age has dropped recently from 18 to 16 and I am
        personally not in favour of this.

        Nadine Lattimore

        On 5 Apr 2014, at 23:38, Katie Moncelsi wrote:

        >> A blind child with a guide dog thats attistic? Are you serious? How
old is
        >> this child? My own son is blind and mildly autistic but a guide dog
is the
        >> last thing I'd consider suitable for him until he matures more.
        > He's very high functioning, I'd guess you'd call him asperger's
instead
        > of autistic. He's 17 years old as well. I probably should have
mentioned
        > the school is a high school as well.
        >
        > Katie

07:34:00