[gmpi] Re: wrap up 3.8 - gesture start/end

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 05:49:41 -0800

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 09:10:00AM -0500, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> 1) Do nothing.  Send all events to the plugin.  The vast majority of plugins
>> do not care about gesture-start and gesture-end, and will ignore them.  If
>> two sources fight, you will get a knob that jumps around.  Plugins don't
>> need to handle anything special, and ignore things they don't need.
>>
>> 2) Act as a priority-based switch.  Based on the source of inputs, decide
>> which events make it to the plugin, and which get dropped.  Plugins don't
>> need to handle anything special, and ignore things they don't need.

> Please read up on what DirectX automation does for parameter
> capture/release.  (That's the terminology used there, capture/release like a
> mouse, rather than gestures which can easily be confused with musical
> performance gestures.)
>
> In DX8 the host optionally exposes a parameter capture/release interface.
> If the plugin wants to use it, I can query for it.  Then, then the user
> clicks on a widget in the plugins GUI for parameter foo, the plugin says
> host->ParamCapture( foo, TRUE ).  Then as the widget moves,
> host->ParamChange( foo, x ), the finally host->ParamCapture( foo, FALSE )
>
> This approach is neither 1 or 2, and actually works pretty well.

1 and 2 above refer to a collision.  What does DX do if two separate plugins
capture the same foo?  As with others, I am fine with these terms.  But we
still need to handle 2 cases well:

How does a sender capture 2 controls at once, so that they are known to be
one capture?
 -> Gesture IDs on the start/end events, sent to each control.

What happens if two senders try to capture the same control?
 -> Host handles it, either 1 or 2 above are legit.