[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging, Process-In-Place

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:45:03 -0600

Tim Hockin wrote:

All you silent observers - now's the time!

a) Simple: a per-plug global flag. Plugins are either in-place safe (any
input can be reused for any output - at the host's whim) or they are not (no
input will be reused for any output <see footnote 1>). Not flexible, but simple.

b) Mapped: static plugin-defined mapping of ins to eligible outs.  Plugins
that can do in-place processing identify the output(s) on which a buffer for
each input can be reused.  More complex, marginally more flexible.

c) Batons: dynamic, internal mapping done by plugin.  Plugins output buffers
where they want, resuing whatever they can.  Fairly complex, most flexible.

d) Other - did I miss one?
Tim

I'm going to vote A, as I was particularly captivated by "at the host's whim."

No actually, I don't think the added complexity buys enough to justify either b or c.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems