[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 13:40:34 -0600

Well, contrary to your thoughts it is not ridiculous. Lets say that at some point in my process chain I have a mute object. When it is engaged, I zero the buffer. Then I set the IsZero flag on the buffer. The next item in the chain is the fader control. It sees that the zero flag is set, knows that multiplying by the gain won't change anything, and can return immmediately. The next plugin is a reverb. It knows that even though the input buffer is zero, it is going to be adding signal, so it clears the IsZero flag and puts its output in the buffer (no need for a += in this case).

So the idea is not stupid. Whether or not it is worthwhile to pass across the GMPI boundary is worth discussion, but dismissing it out of hand is pointless and offensive.