[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:57:32 -0700 (PDT)

> why defining AudioBuffer object ? this is often boring to work with many
> struct indirection stages when optimizing , especially on DSP. Don't you
> think that a unique structure for signal wouldn't be enough !?

I think there is no point in actually describing any object model at this
point.  It's just too early.  That will have MUCH debate when the time
comes.

> why the plug-in should have to call a function to get pointer !?

again, an implementation detail.

> What is this concept of IsZero() ?

If a plugin is smart, it can see that a buffer is 'silent' without actually
needing the data.  This saves the cost of filling the buffer, and possibly
more, if the plugin can optimize away certain paths.

In XAP, we called it the SILENT flag.  Some people hate it.